Quiet Warrior

How do you say goodbye to someone so young and dear to you? You don’t.

At least, that’s not what I said to my brother. I blew him kisses and said, “I love you.”

canoe3It was one of the hardest “goodbyes” I’ve ever had to say. It ripped my heart in two.

Last week I spoke about 2015 and how it held both pain and joy. I also referred to my two words for 2016: believe and possible.

And then WHAM!

mur sue darThe first four days of 2016 were some of the most heart-wrenching I’ve ever had to face. Do I still trust that all things are possible if only we believe?

Absolutely.

God did provide a miracle, but just not in the way we thought. On January 4, 2016, my brother ran into his Saviour’s arms. He’s now free and his body is whole. He’s singing with the saints along with our parents. For that I’m grateful.

On January 8th, we celebrated Murray’s life. Hundreds gathered to pay their respects. This proved what I already knew. My brother was a man of honour. A man people admired. He was loved by many.

I wanted to share with you the family memories I spoke about at Mur’s funeral.

• When we were younger, Mur used to make fun of the color of my hair. He said I washed my hair in rusted pipes, so he started calling me “Rusty brains.” Not sure if he was making fun of my hair or my IQ.
  • We spent hours playing on Harrison Mtn. We built the best tree house in Elgin County. We each had our own “rooms” on different branches. Of course with Murray being the oldest, he had to have the best branch.
  • rulesMurray always had a love for Star Wars and Star Trek. That rubbed off on Sue and I. We loved to watch them too. However, I never quite got over my fear of the “salt monster.”
  • These are just some of the many fun memories I have of my dear brother that I will hold on to. Murly-the-whurly . . . Darly-the-wharly misses you and loves you very much, but I hold to our Savior’s promise that we will see you again one day. Until then, this is for you. (I blew kisses.)

Someone described my brother as a “quiet warrior” and I agree! This is exactly who Murray was. He’d do anything for you. He’d fight for you on his knees.

And he fought his cancer battle with all his might with his amazing wife, Natalie, right by his side. God provided so many miracles. Their faith stood strong. Was it tough? You bet, but they both praised God through it all.

Our quiet warrior has won the battle. He’s home and standing tall on that mountain, shouting, “I’m free!”

warrior mur

A Tribute to Murray Harrison

Thanks to Brent Smith for putting this together. It’s a glimpse into my brother’s life and the amazing legacy he’s left behind. I love you, Mur! xo

On My Way Home (by Jim Brady)

This is an incredible song by a great songwriter. It captures the essence of our journey here on earth. We’re only passing through on our way home. Murray, you’re now home. I miss you, but will see you again one day. Love you. xo ❤

22 comments for “Quiet Warrior

January 11, 2016 at 6:46 am

Dar that was so precious. What a beautiful tribute to a couple who lived to glorify God. Our prayers are with u all. Murray was blessed with an amazing wife, children and sisters.

• January 11, 2016 at 7:53 am

Thanks, Diane. We appreciate all your prayers and support during this journey. Love you! xo

2. January 11, 2016 at 8:11 am

Praying for your family at this time. How wonderful to know you will see him again. Thanking the Lord for a faithful servant. Love and prayers!

• January 11, 2016 at 8:26 am

Thanks, Krista! Yes, Murray was definitely a faithful servant. ❤

3. January 11, 2016 at 11:28 am

What a beautiful way to honor and remember your brother Murray. Wish I’d had the pleasure to have known him. You did an amazing job putting this post together and the video is outstanding. Many prayers still coming your way. Love to you my friend.

4. Cheryl McCorriston
    January 11, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Dar, what a wonderful tribute to an amazing man. Following his journey over the last year through all of your postings has been both inspirational and humbling. To watch his and Natalie’s faith and strength through some very dark days showed me so much faith in our Saviour. It never faltered. We could all learn from that.
    My love for all of you has only grown stronger.
    Blessings, your cousin, Cheryl

• January 11, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Thanks, Cheryl. Yes, we can definitely all learn from their faith during this tough journey. Thanks for your prayers, cuz. Love you. xo

5. January 11, 2016 at 6:33 pm

What a wonderful peek into your love for your brother. Loved your tribute. Really beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I am very sorry for you loss.

6. mona carter
    January 11, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Wish I could have been there with and for you guys, but I am still in Ottawa with Carole. This is well done and thanks for sharing.

• January 11, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Hi, Mona. Thanks for all your prayers and support. We love you. ❤ xo

7. debwilson2
    January 11, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Darlene, I’m so sorry for your loss. What a sweet video and blog tribute to Murray. I’m sure he’s pleased. May the Lord wrap you in His arms and hold you especially close.

January 12, 2016 at 7:15 am

Dar, this was a beautiful tribute to Murray. I remember being in that tree house, I remember Harrison Mountain and I remember the teasing. I did not know Murray in later years, but the video says it all. He lived his life to the fullest with that awesome sense of humor, mischief and adventure that was uniquely Murray. What an amazing inspiration he and Nat have been to all of us. I have been praying all along and it has been amazing to see the journey unfold. Know that I am still praying. I trust that God will continue to bless the bond that you all have in the days to come.

• January 12, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Thanks, Susan. Yes, we had lots of fun up on Harrison Mountain, didn’t we? Fun times around the campfire too!! Thanks for your prayers. ❤ xo

9. Heather Joyes.
    January 12, 2016 at 9:33 am

Dear Darlene, what a beautiful tribute to your dear brother. You blessed his life with your constant encouragement and love. Praying that He will continue to strengthen you with His love and peace. Thinking of you especially during this time.

• January 12, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Thanks, Heather. I appreciate all your prayers and support. ❤ xo

10. January 12, 2016 at 8:13 pm

A beautiful tribute, Darlene. So sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family. Big hug.

January 13, 2016 at 7:14 am

Darlene, I am so proud of you in presenting this post of our precious dear brother. It is so heart felt and a great way to share his rich testimony of faith…trust… and believing in His Saviour throughtout this whole journey with Natalie right along his side…praising our Lord.We as his sisters will embrace his legacy forever. He has taught me so much as I watched him suffer with a heart for His Lord and great love for his family… SO humbling and inspiring. We will see him again and what a great day of celebrating that will be!!! Love you sissy!!! XOXO

• January 13, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Thanks, Sissy. Yes, both Mur and Nat have taught me so much during their journey. I want others to know! Love you xo