It’s About the Cross

Easter is more important than Christmas.

A friend made a similar statement to me this week and it got me thinking . . .

Is it?

I can hear your rebuttal because I went through the same debate. You can’t have Easter without Christmas. Jesus had to be born first. It’s just as important.

Right? redeemed

The more I thought about it, the more I’m not sure it is. Don’t get me wrong. I love Christmas. It’s my favorite time of year. But if Jesus came as a baby just to be a great prophet, what would we have gained?

Great teaching. That’s it. We could get that anywhere.

No. He came as a baby to die. There was a bigger and better purpose. To pay the penalty for our sins.

For you.

For me.

So that we may have eternal life.

Without that we’re lost.

So why don’t we celebrate Easter more than Christmas? Perhaps some do. I know I’m guilty of putting more emphasis on Dec 25thThe ultimate gift was given on the tree with a hammer and nails, not the one decorated with tinsel and lights. (Click to TWEET.)

easter blog

Is it because we’ve forgotten why He came?

This week I’ve been reminded of that reason in different ways. Through a conversation with a friend and the song below.

The beginning of the story—Christmas—is definitely important, but it’s the ending—Easter—that remains forever.

We just have to accept His gift.

Let’s look to Golgotha this Easter because . . .

It’s all about the cross.

1 Peter 2:24 (NIV)

“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.”

What do you think? Do we tend to celebrate Christmas more than Easter? Share your thoughts.

It’s About The Cross (by Jamison J. Statema)

The Ball Brothers

The words in this song are powerful. It’s really not just about the manger . . .

8 comments for “It’s About the Cross

1. March 27, 2016 at 7:29 am

Christmas is a more public celebration for most … myself included. However, what the Saviour secured by His death and resurrection fills me with so much more wonder and overwhelming thankfulness.

• March 27, 2016 at 7:50 am

That’s a great way to put it, Steph! So true. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Happy Easter! xo

2. Rob Hueniken
    March 27, 2016 at 8:03 am

Hi, Darlene!

We each are born, but it’s what we do in life that makes us different. If we knew nothing about Jesus’ birth, and only about His last 3 years and resurrection, His life would still have full value and importance. So Easter is more important to Christianity and our eternity.

🙂

Rob

• March 27, 2016 at 8:09 am

Hey, Rob! Nicely put. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Happy Easter to you and your family!

3. Cathy Webb
    March 27, 2016 at 9:40 am

Darlene, you know my view on Easter. The whole reason we celebrate Easter is what we I base my faith on.
    Happy Easter to you and yours.

• March 27, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Yes! Our conversation, this song, and God’s urging put this post on my heart, so thanks for sharing with me! You have an awesome Easter too!

March 28, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Dar thanks so much for this reminder. I am humbled by how much he loves me. thanks so much for your blog Dar it truly has been such a blessing to me

• March 28, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Hey, Di! God is good!! Thanks for your continued encouragement.