Harvest Offering

Nathan unlatched the lock on the door and heaved it upwards. The two flaps fell to each side with a thud. The sunlight blinded him like a spotlight on stage. The cool air filled the shelter and he breathed inward.

“That feels good,” he said.

A cardinal chirped in the distance. Nathan smiled.

There is life out there.

He motioned to his wife and children. “Come on, let’s check things out.”

They climbed the steep stairs and stepped out into their backyard.

Or what was left of it.

Nathan surveyed the neighborhood. Houses, trees, sheds—everything was flattened. Except for a few birds singing, they were greeted with silence.

Why didn’t they listen?

Nathan turned and gazed at his family as they sifted through the devastation.

Lord, thank you for saving them.

He went back into the shelter and brought out some vegetables he had saved from his garden.

“Hey, gather around.”

Nathan placed a couple of husks of corn and a handful of carrots in the fire pit. He lit a match and threw it in. It ignited causing flames to rise.

His wife gasped. “What are you doing? You’re wasting our food.”

“I’m offering God our harvest. Not to worry. He kept us safe, so He’ll provide.”

Nathan glanced back at the neighborhood. A rainbow stretched from one end of his street to the other. The vivid colors made him smile.

Thank you, Lord.

Today is our Canadian Thanksgiving. The harvest colors are in full bloom here in London. My favorites are the reds and oranges—mixed in with the few green leaves left to change. It takes my breath away every year. It’s like God took His paintbrush, dipped it in His palette, and splattered the trees. Spectacular!

This is my favorite time of year. Not only because of the color but because of Thanksgiving. Do you think Noah was thankful when he stepped outside the ark?

Of course. We know that because he gave God an offering. What can we learn from him?

That’s easy.

We need to give thanks. For everything—the big, small, and anything in between. I praise God for my family, friends, and everything He’s given me.

What are you thankful for today?

Share your favorite Thanksgiving memory. I’d love to hear it.

Genesis 8:20 (NIV)

“Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it.”

10 comments for “Harvest Offering

1. susan steeves
    October 8, 2012 at 7:18 am

This is a great piece reminding us of sacrifice, listening and trusting our Savior and “New Beginnings.” My favorite thanksgiving memory is the last thanksgiving dinner up at the cottage with our precious Mom. I was touched how our friends supported us to help make this dinner happen by giving us all the preparations for it. We gathered as a family in our favorite spot to celebrate our lives with her knowing she was going to die soon. It was the hardest Thanksgiving ever, but the sweetest. Love ya sis, see you soon!

• October 8, 2012 at 9:02 am

Thanks Sis. That’s my favorite Thanksgiving memory too. Hard to go through but sweet. Love you and can’t wait to see you in TWO sleeps! xoxo

2. Eunice
    October 8, 2012 at 7:54 am

A great Thanksgiving Story Thanks Darlene

October 8, 2012 at 8:42 am

Thanks Dar. The season of new beginning truly is where I am at. God is awesome and I’m excited to see what he has in store. Dar and Sue you are truly both incredible people to me and you have both walked the same journey as I am currently walking God bless you both. Your Mama I’m sure is very proud of you both for carrying on the Christian walk that she exemplified. xoxxooxoxoxoxoxx

• October 8, 2012 at 9:04 am

Thanks Di. New beginnings can be both scary and exciting. Just remember…we’re right there beside you! Thanks for your comment about Mama. I miss her very much. Love you girlfriend. xo

4. October 8, 2012 at 8:46 am

Happy Thanksgiving, Dar! I love fall, too. Thanksgiving is a special holiday. Thank you for sharing. ‘Enjoyed the story. 🙂

• October 8, 2012 at 9:05 am

Thanks Diane!!! Love Thanksgiving…my fave. Well, Christmas too! 🙂 Miss you!

5. October 8, 2012 at 11:06 am

Mine isn’t so much a memory as a tradition. My family always goes to the local fair on Thanksgiving weekend. We eat fudge and drink hot apple cider, sometimes we’re able to catch the lumberjack show. It’s so special to be able to still do something now that we enjoyed as kids.

• October 8, 2012 at 12:13 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing Marcy!