Old Man Winter

Call me crazy, but I love winter (okay, maybe love is too strong of a word 😀 ). I was disappointed we had a green Christmas and was wondering if winter would ever arrive. I needed to see some white stuff falling from the sky.

winterWell….it did this week and with a vengeance! Old man winter came and breathed down our necks with a bitter cold wind. Plus, our area was pummelled with snowy conditions. School buses were cancelled and the roads were treacherous. However, it was a snow day for some!

Don’t you remember snow days as a kid? Such fun! We used to build snowmen, make snow angels, build forts and have snowball fights. Remember?

We tend to forget the beauty of winter when the bitter wind is freezing our faces and our backs are killing us from all the shovelling. I get that. But…there’s nothing more beautiful than a field blanketed in fresh fallen snow or how it glistens in the moonlight’s glow.

How about a forest full of trees sagging with mounds of snow weighing them down? Breathtaking!

Why don’t we stop and take in that beauty?

winter craft 2

Design by Jamie Mills-Price

Old man winter can be rough, but it can also be a time of rest. A time to enjoy a hot cup of chocolate (yes, with the whip cream!) by the fireplace while reading. Or to visit with friends. And of course….there’s skiing!

Over my holidays I was able to finish my “Winter” scene. It was such fun to paint it! Tole painting is one of the things I love to do in the winter.

I’m glad winter has arrived! It’s a season to relax, reflect, and rejuvenate.

And of course, let’s not forget the beauty of that fresh fallen snow!

What’s your favourite part of winter?

winter craft

Design by Jamie Mills-Price

10 comments for “Old Man Winter

January 12, 2015 at 7:00 am

My favorite part of winter is having softly fallen snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. It reflects the peace I feel in my heart on Christmas Eve remembering Christ’s birth. Like you Sissy, we had a green Christmas this year so it definitely made me miss the snow. I love your Beautiful Snowman Tote painting. I am glad you have taken the time to do this great talent you have. Miss Ya!

• January 12, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Yes, I missed the snow this Christmas! Oh well! Thanks Sissy. I love to paint. 🙂

January 12, 2015 at 7:20 am

My fav memory of Winter is tobogganing in our field that had a hill in it and snowmobiling. It was so much fun. We used to hook the toboggan behind the snow mobile. So so much fun!!!! And I also remember Dad would get his snow blower out and clean out some of the seniors driveway so they could get out. He was such an amazing Man. Luv you Dar and your talents amaze me.

• January 12, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Di! Sounds like so much fun! We also used to have a lot of fun sliding!

3. January 12, 2015 at 7:35 am

Your painting looks great, my friend.
    I walked Poochie this morning and am so tempted to go back out camera in hand. It’s so beautiful out there. Plus, it’s still and not too cold. Doesn’t get better than that.
    Have a wonderful week, Dar. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    TTFN

• January 12, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Thanks Steph! Did you get out for some pictures? Love winter shots!

• January 12, 2015 at 8:09 pm

I didn’t. I did, however, get a lot of editing done. 🙂

• January 17, 2015 at 3:36 pm

While I didn’t get outside to snap any pics, I am learning that I enjoy walking the dog before the sun comes up … if it isn’t too, too cold. 🙂

4. January 12, 2015 at 11:10 am

Hi Darlene… Thanks for this and the artwork is beautiful… winter has always been a time to rest in my way of thinking. God gives the land a rest after producing so much for us and I think it is a time to reflect and catch up. I have spent a few winters away from the snow and found the year to be missing something. Complain as we do at times but I really do love to see the landscape change, nature has a special way of speaking into the soul…

Hugs as always

• January 12, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Thanks Rolly. I love the winter landscape as well. It’s so peaceful and serene!