Dreams, ACFW, and more!

Don’t give up on your dreams.

I almost did.

2017 has been a rough year for me so far. You see I’ve been suffering from that dreaded thing called menopause and has affected me mentally. It has zapped my self-confidence and many of my joys. Yes, even my joy of writing. I’ve heard from a number of people that I’m “just not myself.” This has saddened me. I struggled even more. Frustration set in.

Looking up in the atrium at the Gaylord Texan Resort.

So, what does one do when something like this happens? I did the only thing I could think of. I pleaded to God for help and reached out to my family and friends, asking for prayer. I talked about my struggles to those I trusted. They understood and promised to pray. I went to my doctor and started taking a supplement to help me over the hump.

And waited. And tried my hardest to just TRUST. Trust that it would subside and I’d start feeling normal again.

In September, I had the opportunity to travel to Dallas, Texas to the annual ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) Conference. I went into there feeling burdened and heavy laden, hoping for some spark to help me get back on track. I didn’t want to give up on my dreams, but lately, it has been hard.

I reconnected with fellow friends and writers and met new ones. I took classes and met with agents and editors in hopes of gaining interest in my manuscripts. I mustered up courage as I went into each meeting.

So, what happened at ACFW?

My joy of writing was reignited. My appointments were promising. Friends encouraged me. And then the last night, the biggest encouragement happened.

One of my dreams came true.

My manuscript, Stolen Vows, won the Genesis award for the Romantic Suspense category. I was beyond humbled and excited as I accepted the award. God is good.

You see, dreams can come true to those who work hard and wait upon the Lord’s timing. He knows best.

Today I’m still struggling with menopause but I’m doing much better. My joys are starting to return. My love of writing is there and I’m working on my next book. Praise Him!

Don’t give up on your dreams. Even when life tries to get you down. We can overcome. I just know it!

Trust in the One who has placed those dreams on your heart.

What dreams do you have? Have you given up on them? Share with us.

Here are more pictures from ACFW. Enjoy!

Loretta Eidson, Lynette Eason, and I hanging out together!

Longhorn! LOL

Train going through the atrium

Waterfall running through the atrium. Beautiful!

Fountain in the atrium.

Enjoying an iced pumpkin spice latte with Loretta at the end of the conference!

All dressed up for the Gala event!

Loretta and I at the Gala

Dar with her Genesis Award

16 comments for “Dreams, ACFW, and more!

1. diannmills
    October 2, 2017 at 7:22 am

So proud of you!!!

• October 2, 2017 at 7:57 am

Thanks, DiAnn! I owe so much to you. Thanks for being such a great mentor and friend. Love you. xo

October 2, 2017 at 8:03 am

SO..SO..PROUD of you Sissy!!! You have been an inspiration to me, even when things have been tough you hang on to Our Saviour as He had directed your path… I can’t wait for the NEXT step He has for your writing journey. Love you to infinity and beyond!

• October 2, 2017 at 8:13 am

Thanks, Sissy. I appreciate all of your love and encouragement throughout my journey. You are also an inspiration to me. Love you! xo

October 2, 2017 at 12:46 pm

I am so so proud of you my love!!!!! God has rewarded your hard work and determination.. you are God’s gift to me!

• October 2, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Thanks, Di! Thank you for all of your love and encouragement. I really appreciate it! Love you xo

4. David LeBlanc
    October 2, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Very touching and meaningful. We all have our struggles.

• October 2, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Hi, David! Yes, life is full of struggles, isn’t it? Thanks so much for stopping by!

5. October 2, 2017 at 10:47 pm

So glad I could be there to see you receive this well-deserved award! Like I said, it was time. God is good all the time and His timing is always perfect! So very proud of you!!

• October 3, 2017 at 7:35 am

Thanks, Loretta! Loved having you and Ken there with me. Thanks for all your support and encouragement. Yes, you’re right. God’s timing is always perfect. Love you! xo

6. Cathy Webb
    October 3, 2017 at 6:55 am

So proud of you Dar.

7. October 3, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Way to go, Darlene. So proud of you for hanging in there. More good things ahead!

8. Gail Reid
    October 10, 2017 at 7:28 am

Congrats on your award and I knew you were not yourself and have been praying for you.

• October 10, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Hi, Gail. Thanks for your prayers. I really appreciate them. God bless!